Tuesday, May 6, 2008

The Eccentric Soul: Cherine Anderson





Check out Cherine on the cover of this weeks Youthlink Magazine in stores and on news stands NOW!!! Or visit their website YOUTHLINK JAMAICA



Eccentric soul
Danelia Doyle,Youthlink Writer
Photo by Rico Kinnard

Entertainers are known to share similar experiences; whether it's growing up in the 'garrisons', being raised by a single parent or realising their passion for music within the confines of the church.

In Youthlink's interview with dancehall/soul superstar Cherine Anderson, she unenthusiastically shares tales of the same fable.

"It wasn't so much the message in church that appealed to me at first, but the passion and strength in the people's voices," explained Cherine. Straying from her 'church music', Cherine Anderson has used the passion and strength she gained to create a driven, self-assured soul-creating machine.

How do you classify your music?

"Dancehall/soul, it's everything street, meeting everything sweet."


How exactly did your dancehall/ soul and Britney Spears' pop get intertwined on the international star's single 'Piece of me'?

"Well, Britney's management team actually approached me and proposed the deal and we accepted."

YL: Speaking about Britney, she has been in the tabloids quite a lot, what do you think about all she's been going though lately?

"I really feel for her because people don't understand how difficult it must be to have grown up in the public eye, and all of this is new to her."

You spent some of your life in Japan and even speak the language, how was the experience?

"Intense! The food, people and fashion ... their fashion is way ahead of the US. It's like a candy store for people interested in gadgets."

You've appeared in films such as 'Dancehall Queen' and 'One Love', any other acting jobs on the way?

"Yes, there is an interactive teen drama called Choices, which was shot in Trinidad last year. I play a young lawyer. That will soon be aired on Tempo."

What's your most overused phrase?

"I don't know ... (laughs) and for real."

What's your best physical feature?

"These questions are hard ... (laughs). I think it's my eyes."

Your guiltiest, guilty pleasure?

"A tie between cheesecake and sushi. I love sushi."


Cherine speaks candidly


Her style

I'm not a slave to fashion. My style is funky and eva changing, I love bright colours.

Tips for dating

Try to date someone who is ...

"... entertaining, always fun. They have to be driven and ambitious. Hot (lol)! You have to get an 'eye candy' even though being hot is relative.

Music

It's all you'll expect and a bag of unexpected, but develop your talent and keep family and friends around who can be objective.

Confession box

I always deny who I am. Recently I went to a gas station. The attendant said "you look like Cherine Anderson" and I said "really, I get that all the time" (smiles).

No comments: