Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Cherine Anderson : KINGSTON STATE OF STYLE

SOURCE: FASHION OVER STYLE www.fashionoverstyle.net



Cherine Anderson has been conquering the entertainment industry genre by genre, with major movie roles under her belt like the role of Tanya in Dancehall Queen and Serena in One Love, singles doing well on the music charts and colabs with artistes like Paul McCartney of the Beatles and Wyclef Jean not to mention having written songs for herself and the likes of Maxi Priest. She is a well-rounded and highly-accomplished talent that begun her theatrical background touring with the world-renowned Ashe Performing Arts Ensemble based here in Jamaica.

Cherine refers to her style of music as dancehall soul, a fusion of street meets sweet. It is a reflection of her upbringing in East Kingston, Jamaica combined with new exposures, living in far-away places like Vermont and Los Angeles in the USA and the exotic Tokyo, Japan for a year. She refers to dancehall as the foundation of her music mixed in with her early church background. A sweet and eclectic mix of music, I often viewed Cherine’s fashion sense similarly, rugged but sweet. It is rooted in our dancehall culture, skewed to her international prowesses plus mixing her own smoothness in. Cherine was gracious enough to speak with me recently about her very unique sense of style.



Irie Diva
: Tell me about your style, do you keep up with the latest trends?
Cherine: I find that I like to mix retro with new. Having lived in Japan, which is very fashion forward, I was able to mix vintage styles with new trends and make them my own. My style is one that people can definitely identify with and achieve. I like when people can see my outfit and envision themselves wearing it like “yeah I can take that skinny jeans and mix it with a tank, throw in some bangles” basically mix and match to create their own look.
Irie Diva: Do you dress yourself for your appearances?
Cherine: I mostly dressed myself in the early stages of my career. Now there are stylists that I work with for some events like my most recent video shoot for “You and Me Against the World” I was happy to work with Anatolli Smith who had me styled in John Galliano of Christian Dior fame, Balenciaga shoes, custom made jewelly and some hot vintage pieces. I think working with a stylist definitely has its benefits because there are two sets of eyes looking out for the right looks and that makes you feel even more confident in your clothes.
Irie Diva: Ok, so tell me what you’re thinking when you’re dressing yourself to say…go on stage.
Cherine: To go on stage I’m considering many things. Definitely I want to be comfortable because I work the stage and I mean really work it so I want to make sure I am comfortable, not constipated (we both LOL!) Comfort still involves heels because I’m only 5′3 so I need my heels and definitely something that still looks good when I sweat because I may be sweating under the heat of the stage lights. White looks good on stage as well, bright colours and I’m into the glittery/shiny pieces (you know I love her now)

CLICK HERE TO CONTINUE READING

No comments: